Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Is It Real Or Is It Memorex.....?







Ok, that title is a wee bit pretentious on my part but I thought I'd give you a look at where my ....um, strange (?).....mind goes. I wanted an edgy kind of vehicle for the new guy to ride...(this is really not going to make sense until you see the finished production so just bear with me) so, anyyikes, I was rolling around cars and walking houses (now that is cool as an idea but for something else perhaps) and went cruising my collection of ephemera to see what I might have. Now, I may have mentioned one of my personal art Icons is Georgia O'Keeffe and she was into skulls. I really love skulls too and so far I have a deer, crow and cat skull in my collection. Well long story short, I looked at the cat skull and got that creative charge that happens when the I-don't-know-how-to-explain-it jump and went for it. But I didn't want to use the real skull and thought I'd try to duplicate it.

There is the result. Obviously the real one is on the left. But I'm pretty chuffed by the way my 'fake' came out.

And that leads me to pic number 3. It's a bird-nest-in-a-tree hat. And let me say I have a real respect for birds after weaving that nest. Now, I have 2 hands and - hopefully - the big brain, but that bloody nest was one of the most difficult things I've done and it really looks lame......the leaves are appliqued over an old ball cap.

Now here's the story that goes with the making of this.

Some years ago, a friend of mine turned 50 and his wife threw him a large party, in the way of marking these monumental numbers (snort snort) - but I digress. Because he was an ex-logger the 'theme' was such....old logger costumes. So everyone comes in the plaid jackets and blue jeans and big boots. Some hardhats and ear protectors too.

But not this happy camper.

I came as a tree.

Now baring the whole 'tree hugger' thing, this, in retrospect, was a bit over the top in such an entourage. And it wasn't just the hat because I made a whole outfit as a tree. My pants were old brown corduroys that I ripped the bottoms of to resemble roots and a brown shirt plus long vest that was appliqued as well with leaves and branches and owls and moths and caterpillars. Certainly a work of art. Certainly more intense than anything else in the room.

And no one sat by me or talked to me that night.

Every once in a while I think I'm just beyond the usual page most of are on.............

No comments:

Post a Comment