Thursday, December 23, 2010

Are You Sitting Comfortably? Then Let's Begin....


Have you got your cup of cocoa?(hot toddy) And your chocolate bikkie?(rum baba)
Swell! C'mon up onto Santa's knee for the tale:
" JUST HOW NAUGHTY WAS I, SANTA? "
In pretty much most families, the 'mom' takes on the responsibility for making sure the prezzies get bought for everyone and stockings get filled as well. You know this is true.
In my long ago marriage to # 1 - father of my sons - this was the scenario too. I dutifully did all the Xmas stuff while husband # 1 just kinda showed up and got the kudos. After a bit of this, I rebelled. But I rebelled in a 'quiet' way. I thought to myself 'Why can't he figure out the stocking thing for me for a change' - I mean, it's borderline pathetic to have to fill your own stocking, right?
Anyboohoohooway, this was the stage on DEC. 24th 1979 when son #1 was 3. I went to bed with all stockings etc filled to the brim but mine.
Come Christmas morning we (the parents) are woken by a very tearful young son crying "Mommy! You must have been very bad because Santa didn't leave you anything!" I remember turning to look at husband # 1 and seeing his rather guilty/chagrined face and I quietly said, " Oh? Really."
I got up to deal with kids and tears and make breakfast giving a cursory glance at my limp - and empty - stocking. The young son was very upset and even more so when # 1 husband got up and dressed and slipped out of the house. Everything was going wrong this Christmas morning. In about 1/2 an hr. 'Dad' was back bearing a large package. He knelt down in front of our young son and said "Look! Santa found me in town and gave this to me! He said he couldn't get it into Mummy's stocking so that's why I had to go out and get it!"
Peace restored. Mum is back on the 'Nice' list.
Good recovery # 1! Big present points!
The photo is me in 1956 at 3 - my brother would have still been a young baby so unable to sit on Santa's knee. I'm just so styley! I love the little purse! I want that hat back! And isn't 'Santa's' beard something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment