Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Patience - a 'Zen' Excercise in Monotone


I am usually pretty patient.....no problem waiting in line or for the salesperson to finish fiddling to attend to me or even the Dr's office black hole experience we all share, BUT,boy oh boy, do I have a time with patience and getting ART SUPPLIES.
Right now I'm waiting for some special supplies to create my new background for the new 'Boudoir' series; the ones based on my collection of old 'naughty' french postcards. (...after 125 years, they are pretty tame, let me say.) And the painting in it's 'raw' state - as you see above - is hanging in my 'view-spot' over the bed, so I'm constantly reminded about the vision I'm excited to begin.....eesh.
The problem being is the way I want to do this background. My usual way to date has been to painstakingly copy out the image onto the canvas after printing out my 6 to 10 copies (depends on the image) and tracing it out over graphite paper. I get a lot of 'crampy' hands....ah, you must suffer for beauty....snort**
Anyhowconvolutedcanyougetway, I discovered some old photocopies of my earlier still life set-ups, from when I was first exploring acrylic, and I used to play around with these images in Photoshop - man I was a HUGE fan of all the special effects you could get! I'd set up wine bottles and my stained glass window pieces and flowers from the garden with the sun shining through and snap a digital and then have a gay old time playing around with the 'watercolor, line, and color separation' effects in Photoshop.
Point being, in this long round about way, is I found one of these great images and want to transfer it to the canvas BUT - and this is where we get all 'how-the-fleep-can-I-do-that' - I want to retain the color that is on the copy image. Obviously that won't transfer if I do the usual copy method I've used up to now. So we need to find a way to reproduce the image as it is with it's colors and 'affix' it to the canvas to paint over ( um, onto? ) and therein lies the problem because you have to find something archival (won't break down, discolor or destroy the canvas over time) and thin enough not to make a huge ridge in the painting.
These are an artist's trials......
Thank goodness for the Internet is what I say as I lucked into a site - grafixarts.com - that seems to have what I'm looking for and better yet is carried up here in Canada at the Art Store I frequent.
Now it's the waiting game.......
Oh and my printer blew up and I'm waiting for a new one of those expense toys and I'm STILL on pins and needles about the mural.....help us help us.....

No comments:

Post a Comment