Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready To Go


For many of us, the start of a journey is filled with excitement and trepidation - you're never quite sure just what lies ahead - and I admittedly fall into this category. First of all I'm just not sure what the heckaroonies I need to bring with me - I mean, I have 9 boxes of 'arty' shit to keep me entertained ( as an aside, this will only work if I can forgo the great evil of cable TV which, if you weren't aware, I do not have in my abode. I don't have any TV reception actually, and only have one to watch movies, specifically animation, my particular addiction - oh, and 'Supernatural') :}
I find myself teetering between wanting to get the show on the road and feeling a tad overwhelmed by what lies ahead and wanting to go back to bed. I keep making lists of 'things to do before you go' and 'things to do when you're there'. 
And isn't that just typical for life, period. We're so busy planning 'what to do' and 'what will happen' we can forget the 'what's going on'. 
I think this can happen when you're an artist too. You get so wrapped up in the 'I'm gonna paint (sculpt,pot,weld,sew, etc) this amazing pic (sculpture, pot, metal,threads) and then the doors will blow open and I'll be discovered-fame-and-fortune' - and don't deny that's what you do 'cause I know how the creative head thinks - yeah, we get so wrapped up in that future thing we forget the journey of just creating is the point. I had a great 'head smack' about this when I was putting together a portfolio of work to bring with me. I've written lots about my particular dubiousness with what I paint because it just so isn't 'west coasty' and that I keep thinking I need to change to fit what everyone thinks I need to paint. Well, I really got a big head shake when I looked at all my paintings displayed in my portfolio and realized - wow! I paint really uniquely and frelling kick-ass! Why would I want to change that? 
So I'm pretty thrilled by what is coming up. Something is really cooking in the old soul and I can't wait to see what happens next. 
I'm also signed up for pottery classes. 

*and I'm getting a new pc when I'm away - thank you jeebus, as my son says. Hopefully I'll be updating from the 'road' if I can figure out how. 
Always something, huh?*

The painting: "Transform" by Flora Bowley. 
. . . . . . . . . . . . exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment