Friday, October 5, 2012

The Fool On The Hill and Everywhere Else...




Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you’re going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction from which you came, you have to first do something like check your watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you’re crazy by randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.
Oh, yeah, we're cool. Hanging on to Dignity by a slim thread. 
I did this the other day - well, truthfully, I was completely lost in my world of I-haven't-a-clue-where-I'm-going and was walking around like this for the better part of an hour - no, seriously. I even had a map. Sadder still. Then, to top it off with a cherry of subtle nut-job, I asked a store owner the street I needed. Except it was the wrong street. By the time my are-you-sure-you-have-one brain got that detail figured out and reversed direction to go back to whence we started; I had to walk by that store owner again, by the way; almost an hour had gone by. 
It defies belief that I have lived this long.
Anywhatagoofway, all this had me musing on crazy behaviours we do when we are feeling foolish. 
You know you do them. That strange action that supposedly proves you actually meant what you were doing or have a great reason why you were doing it. 
I think it might be better just to laugh uproariously and carry on. I have to add that I'm getting pretty used to Dignity leaving me faster than fleas from a  washed dog. Witness my sitting in a 'farting' chair at the local Arts Society meeting. I'm the President. Supposedly occupying a position of note. Chairing (oh the irony!) the monthly meeting. Meanwhile the chair I'm in has one of those unfortunate cushions that emit embarrassing sounds whenever you move. Basically I lost it and collapsed in one of those 'laughing-so-hard-I'm-in-danger-of-doing-something-else-even-more-embarrassing' moments. I don't think anyone else was as amused as I. 
What the hey-ho. Might as well laugh.
And perhaps choose another chair.
The illustration is an vintage Postcard from 1910 about April Fool's Day. I happen to love that she has this come-hither smile while carrying a dead fish.
Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment