Monday, July 30, 2012

Deep Frying in the Crockpot of Life

It's more than obvious that I've been absent from posting for close to two weeks now - and to my faithful reader I send abased sorries - but I am most certain that for each and every one of us, living as best we can upon this lonely blue planet, there are times when you are just plain old tired of it all and seriously just want to go home and draw bunnies. 
Add to the mix a heavy-duty soupcon of disconcerting health issues along with a real slog in the Art choice-of-lifestyle and we pretty much are burnt out right now. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the good ol' PC has developed the most irritating glitch of refusing to type the same letter twice unless you develop a Gandhi-like time out and wait for the frickin' thing to do the deed. And the backspace button is following along in blind devotion.
It's beyond the pale. 
Even the act of creating seems fraught with dire omens. Take this past weekend where I was a vendor again after about a 5 year hiatus from the local BIG celebration of UKEE DAYS. This is a weekend long event of a mini festival taking place on the local Ball field and it's really a joyous occasion of food, music, local crafts/art and smiling happy people. I decided since I had failed the cut in the Sooke Art Show, that I'd go in and participate and maybe sell some of my prints of the Ice Cream Ladies and cards of same along with my Art dolls. ( Everyone seemed really enthusiastic about them.)
That process started with a huge bollox of the prints not getting done until Friday (set up for Festival was 8:30 am on Sat) and the fellow who usually builds the frames and stretches the prints had to leave town to attend the funeral of a family member. I had to build and stretch them myself. Ok, I DO know how to do this but I wasn't really prepared to add that onto getting the last two dolls done along with folding and stuffing all the cards , sorting the items to go and the usual slog of packing tent/screens, hangers, tie-downs, easels, boxes of art stuff, paintings, chairs, tarps, food and something to do while sitting there for two days, into the van.
Then when I arrived on site I found that the good folks had not read my entry form where I told them I had my own tent that I wished to use. I mean, it was great to not have that incredible gymnasty feat of setting up this 10 X 10 tent but mine has a hand painted roof that really looks cool and does add to the feeling of ARTIST on site. 
Then we sat for 2 days and sold 3 items; 2 cards and 1 doll. 
Now, I've done this and other festival/art market/craft fairs so am - at least I hope so - cognizant of knowing you cannot go into them with the preconceived idea of selling're asking for big unhappy to do so. Still and all, I reduced the prices on those paintings and even those fleeping dolls that take 3 days to make and I probably made 5 cents an hour at the price they were.
So I'm tired. I'm just plain old tired right now of the whole damn shooting match. 
And I'm going to take some time to recharge.
And am considering an extended visit with those chocolatey chip cookie ice cream sandwich thingies. 
Of course with the way things go, something fabbo will occur and I'll be back in the saddle again sooner than you think.
Ah, Art. 
There's no life like it. 

The pics: The first one is self explanitory. The name of the artist was posted as "Snowboy" . That is not self explanitory . Unless you know something about said artist, I guess.
Pic number two is at Ukee Days with my friend Mo from Ukee Bikes poking her head into the shot making for a very fine juxtapose. The company at the fair was top notch may I add. Taken by Randy from Little Beach Cabins. Seek them out for a great place to stay here. 
Oh and PS....along with the peevingly annoying  not-typing-same-letter-twice glitch, the spell-check won't work. 
......sigh bloody sigh......

No comments:

Post a Comment